Summer is in full swing and it’s hot out there! Whether you’re going for a short walk or running a half-marathon when your body sweats it loses more than just water. Your sweat also contains electrolytes, which are charged metallic ions that keep the pressure in our cells and the pH balance of our blood within their normal range. The 7 major electrolytes are:
These electrolytes are not only important for good hydration, they keep our bodies functioning by creating a perfectly balanced environment to conduct nerve signals. If your body’s automatic operating system (aOS) fails to work properly, it can result in the development of many health conditions. Electrolyte imbalance can lead to muscle spasm, weakness, joint pain, anxiety, headaches, digestive issues, dizziness, heart irregularities and more.
How Do I Choose a Good Electrolyte Drink?
When it comes to choosing a drink to replenish electrolytes, the options can be overwhelming. It’s usually best to stay away with sugar-filled and dye-laden gas station options like Gatorade or Powerade.
- Nuun – these easy to use and transport electrolyte tablets are made with very little sugar and simple ingredients, Nuun tablets are great to bring along and drop in a water bottle when it starts getting hot.
- Skratch Labs – these powdered drink mixes are great to mix into a shake or sports drink and are naturally flavored with real fruit.
- Make your own! If you need to rehydrate from a day on the ball field or from feeling under the weather, this simple homemade electrolyte drink will do the trick. Plus, it tastes great!
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups of filtered or purified water
- 2 T organic raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/8 t Himalayan pink sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender, blend well, and enjoy!
Staying well hydrated in the heat of the summer is important for our overall wellbeing. These three options make it simple to get the minerals we need to keep our bodies running optimally. Have any other favorite ways to hydrate after a fun day in the sun? Leave us a comment below!