Top 5 Things Worth Buying this New Year
As 2018 is starting to unfold, many of us have made resolutions or set goals that will get us closer to achieving better health and quality of life. We know as well as everyone else does that these changes are sometimes hard-earned, but are always well worth the effort.
To help you along the way, we’d like to share a few items that have been game-changers when it comes to supporting a healthy lifestyle. If you’ve also taken steps in the NeuroStructural Chiropractic realm to improve your body’s ability to adapt and function, these recommendations will also help you to protect your structural alignment and get the maximum benefit from the investment you’ve made in bettering your health.
- Good mattress – how many of us are sleeping on a mattress that is way too old? Probably more than would care to admit it. If you’re getting an average of 8 hours of sleep per night, you’re spending a third of your day in bed – if you live to be 90, you’ll have spent about 30 years asleep! During sleep is when your body restores, repairs, and heals. If you are spending those hours on a worn-out, uncomfortable mattress, chances are your waking hours will be a lot less comfortable as well. Making the investment in a high-quality mattress will pay off in the long run in your health and quality of life.
- Shoes with the right support – we’re not just talking about avoiding high-heeled stilettos here. There are other shoe choices that can wreak havoc on our feet which can cause other joint and back problems over time. For example, flip-flops offer no arch or heel support and you’re forced to grip them with your toes as you walk to keep them on. Choosing the best shoe for you may depend on how you spend the majority of your time day to day. Those who stand or walk a lot for work should choose their shoes accordingly. No matter what style you chose, a neutral drop (meaning that your heel is level with your toes) will simulate your foot’s natural position, so look for shoes with that feature.
- Water filter – using the right water filter can help to reduce or eliminate harmful substances not only from your drinking water but also the water you bathe or shower in. Contaminants that plague our water include arsenic, chlorine, lead, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, and virus. More than half of the chemicals found in municipal water supplies are not regulated, and some of the legal limits set by the EPA may be too lenient. Filtering your water becomes even more important if you are pregnant or nursing, suffer from chronic illness or have a compromised immune system. There are a wide variety of water filter options to suit your budget and lifestyle.
- Name-brand supplements – purchasing your supplements from well-known retailers has its benefits. Businesses that sell a lot of their products restock frequently, meaning that vitamins don’t just sit on the shelves degrading and losing potency over time. If bottles sit on a shelf in too warm of an environment or exposed to direct sunlight, they can degrade even before the stamped expiration date. Products sold by vitamin chains tend to be more reliable than drugstore brands.
- Cast-iron cookware – a well-seasoned cast iron skillet is naturally non-stick and is not coated with potentially harmful materials that break down and become toxic under high heat. Traditional non-stick cookware is coated with a chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) that has been linked to numerous health problems including thyroid and reproductive issues. Cast-iron, on the other hand, is durable, long-lasting, and actually gets better over time the more you cook with it. It’s cheap, versatile (you can sauté, sear, and even bake in it), and nearly indestructible. An added benefit is that using cast-iron to cook can fortify your food with iron, which is extra good news for people who are iron deficient and for pregnant or menstruating women with an increased need for iron.
Some of our favorites:
- Berkey Stainless Steel Water Filter
- APEC Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
- Brita On-the-Go Water Bottle